CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Joy of a Word-filled Family

The following is an excerpt from Dr. John S. Barnett's (our former pastor) book, The Joy of a Word-filled Family

"Communism triumphed largely because of the complete devotion of its followers. This dedication was typified in an actual letter written by a young communist to his fiancee, breaking off their engagement. The girl's pastor sent the letter to Billy Graham, who referred to it in a crusade message a number of years ago. Listen to what this young communist wrote:

'There is one thing, which I am in dead earnest about, and that is the communist cause. It is my life, my business, my religion, my hobby, my sweetheart, my wife, my mistress, and my bread and meat. I work at in the daytime and dream of it at night. Its hold on me grows, not lessens, as time goes on; therefore, I cannot carry on a friendship, a love affair, or even a conversation without relating it to this force which both drives and guides my life. I evaluate people, looks, ideas, and actions according to how they affect the communist cause, and by their attitude toward it. I've already been in jail because of my ideals, and if necessary, I'm ready to go before a firing squad.'

That is total dedication. Even without divine help, God's grace, the Spirit's power, or Christ's love, look at the intense devotion humans can produce. Can you imagine what God does when He finds this level of dedication in our hearts, minds, and wills as His children?"

He also quoted the hymn, Living For Jesus. Here is the beginning of it, "Living for Jesus a life that is true, striving to please Him in all that I do, yielding allegiance, glad-hearted and free-this is the pathway of blessing for me."

Wow! That man was bent on evil but imagine a Christian with that kind of passion for Christ.

No comments: