CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Living in the Moment


Us enjoying a good book on one of the days already long past. Sometimes I don't realize the making of memories is right now, in this moment. Sometimes I'm tempted to think we're making them another day. It is always in the here and now.



"The fast have spiritually slow hearts." Ann Voskamp (One Thousand Gifts)
This struck me. Time goes too fast for me. Always in a rush it seems. I like to take my time and I do. But, then it causes me to have to rush somewhere else. I completely relate to her wanting to "live fully" in the moment. To slow down and fully taste, feel, see...She said, "I want to slow down and taste life, give thanks, and see God." She compared life to dessert, "Life is dessert-too brief to hurry. You don't wolf it down. The Little-One's tongue searches about for smudge of chocolate she can feel on her cheek. 'More milk?' She nods, eyes large, laughing yes. I pour more. And I haven an appetite to celebrate-yes, let us eat cake!- and nibble on bare toes, to pick armfuls of poppies, to hold a heart up against me, stronger, surer, to sit long with my mama in the last of afternoon light. 'Wherever you are, be all there' is only possible in the posture of eucharisteo."


Yes, this is what I want to do. Slow down, give Thanks to God, be all in the moment. To pay attention, to savor these precious and very fleeting moments. To see the twinkle in my child's eyes when they are delighted. To hold time for a moment, to stop and smile in delight at them. To look at my son and remember my husband as a little boy...with dreams and to take delight in building a home he takes pleasure in. To not dread the chore of cleaning but to bask in the joy of fresh cleanliness. To not get overwhelmed when a child rushes through and the semblance of cleanliness disappears instantaneously but to take joy that I have these little blessings making monumental messes. For one day I will miss having those messes terribly. To hear those birds singing outside. The joy of sharing life with a child with the reading of a good book. Our minds get to go there together and we share in the same experience. Reading God's Word and learning something new or something "clicking" that has gone unnoticed before...There are so many, many things daily waiting to be savored. There are so many to reasons to stop, slow down, take notice of, and thank God for.

2 comments:

byoung said...

I love this! Is it from a book? It totally sounds like you/your heart's desires! You ARE like this Amber, I see you making memories and taking time even if things do rush sometimes. Love you. Mamarella

Amber said...

Aww! Thank you, sweet Mamarella. It's a book called One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. The very beginning of the book rips your heart out!