CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Original Nilla Banana Pudding

I have not had this since I was a child and at Omie and Papa's house. Omie made it a lot! Grandpa called it "Chitlins." The kids and I call it "Opossum Stew" ( From the Berenstein Bear's Love Their Neighbors). I put this on here for Dana because I was telling her how yummy it was. Licking the bowl from the custard alone was such a treat! They don't have Nilla wafers in France but I am sure Dana will find a yummy substitute. The trouble for me is I am having a hard time making the meringue and I know it would taste all the better if I could get it to whip up. Let me know if you know any tricks to making good meringue!

3/4 cup sugar, divided
1/3 cup flour
dash salt
3 eggs, separated
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
45 Nilla wafers (Being Gluten-free I had to substitute with Gluten-free graham crackers and it was really yummy!)
5 medium ripe bananas, sliced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix 1/2 cup of the sugar,flour, and salt in top of double broiler. Blend in 3 egg yolks and milk. Cook, uncovered, over boiling water 10-12 min. or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

Reserve 12 wafers for garnish. Spread small amount of custard on bottom of 1-1/2 qt. baking dish; cover with layer of 1/3 each of the remaining wafers and sliced bananas. Pour about 1/3 of the remaining custard over bananas. Continue to layer wafers, bananas and custard to make a total of 3 layers of each, ending with custard.

Beat egg whites on high with electric mixer until soft peaks from. Gradually add remaining 1/4 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks from. Spoon over custard; spread evenly to cover entire surface of custard and sealing well to edge.

Bake 15-20 min. or until lightly browned. Cool slightly. Top with reserved 12 wafers just before serving.

No comments: