CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Making Time for God's Word

"Oh, " saith one, "I would think on God with all my heart, but meditation work is a work of time, it will cost time, and I have no time; my hands are so full of business,and so full of employment, I have no time for this work. Meditation is not a transient thought, but it is a work of time, and will ask time, and I have no time." Mark therefore what (the psalmist) saith in Psalm 119, "Lord incline my heart unto Thy testimonies," how so? "Turn away mine eyes from beholding vanity." The way to have one's heart inclined to the testimonies of God, is to turn away one's eyes from these outward vanities. Would you therefore meditate on God and the things of God, then take heed that your hearts, and your hands, be not full of the world and the employments thereof....Friends, there is an art, and a divine skill of meditation, which none can teach but God alone. Would you have it, go then to God, and beg of God these things." William Bridge, The Works of the Reverend William Bridge (From Spiritual Disciplines for the Christian Life by Donald S. Whitney

No comments: