CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The False Alarm Shark Scare and the Real (eek) Shark Scare

So apparently Ryan has a pretty hilarious version of his own. At least that's what friends say! Bailey and Caden were in a two man raft in the ocean one morning in Florida. I went down (with Cameron) to watch them. I have been swimming in the ocean before (California, Florida, Texas, Mexico...) but I have never had any encounters with sharks, dolphins, anything like that...Caden yelled out, "Aunt Amber!" and pointed. I followed his finger with my eyes. I saw two fins. Fins!!! Never did it occur to me that it was anything other than shark fins. I panicked and started screaming for them to come to shore. I started running, flailing around. I remembered I had my 3 year old with me. I couldn't run for help and leave him. I ran back and forth, continued screaming, yelled more, hyperventilated, cried without tears, yelled at the boys some more to get into the shore NOW! The boys were scared and abandoned the raft. I wasn't happy that they were out of the raft but, at the same time, was relieved they were finally making progress coming into the shore. Finally Ryan showed up. I said, "What took you so long?!" in the hoarse voice that I kept for the next couple of days. He said, "I saw you...And then I saw the dolphins." He took his sweet time getting down there! He assured me they were dolphins. I took a look. I saw five of them swimming together. Oh. It took a little while to calm down from that. The raft was very far away. Ryan and Derrick were going to go after it but decided it was too far gone. Then Ryan saw it come back to shore and went and got it. It had a hole in it. :(
The  Real Shark Scare
Later that same day a bunch of us were swimming. Everyone had gone in and Ryan, Bailey, and I (with Cameron in my arms) were making our way in. A man came up and said something to Ryan when we were still in the water. Ryan thanked him, looked at me, and said, "C'mon." "Ryan? What did he say?" Silence. "Ryan...?" "Ryan! Get us out of here!" He pulled us up to the shore. Once we were out he told me the man said a 5 foot bull shark (the most aggressive ones) was right by us. I went and talked to the man and his wife and he said it was coming toward his wife and he'd never seen one being that aggressive before. He told her to get out. I asked him if they saw them very often. He said they patrol up and down that area all the time. Really? Then I asked him how long we should stay out of the water. He made a gesture like he was looking at his watch and said, "3 minutes. Get back in!" Hmm...Possibly Floridians don't seem to be as freaked out about sharks as I am?

No comments: