CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, March 14, 2009

A simple dinner and another smoothie recipe

Tonight we had a very simple dinner but it was really good. It seems like something that would be good to eat on a summer day. We just had grilled cheese sandwiches (with the healthy, hearty multi-grain bread and the good velveeta cheese) and Aunt Laura's pasta salad. Of course, I will have to make a fruity smoothie in a little bit. It helps a sweet tooth! For the sandwiches I usually use Smart Balance butter but tonight I used a butter stick. Here is the recipe for the pasta salad:

Boil a box of Garden rotini until cooked, strain, and add the following:
Artichokes, cut up (I get a big bottle from Sam's because it's cheaper to buy them in bulk and I can make pasta atleast a few times with this jar)
Canned tomatoes, strained (or fresh)
1 regular bottle Italian dressing
I didn't add this tonight but I usually make this with fresh mushrooms and little blocks of Colby/Jack cheese
You can also add garlic salt but I don't usually

Now for that other smoothie:
Almond butter smoothie

2 TBS almond butter
1 cup Soy milk or milk
2 frozen bananas (or more if it's not thick enough)
1 TBS cocoa powder
To sweeten you could use a tsp or so of honey, agave nectar, pure maple syrup

Another version is using natural peanut butter (or regular) and adding a little almond extract or vanilla. You could do half milk and half vanilla or plain yogurt. You could use ice instead of bananas and mint extract.
I like to just experiment. They are so good. If I am hungry I make sure to make it filling with peanut or almond butter.

No comments: