CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Smoothies

We love smoothies at our house! And they are so healthy! A friend of mine taught me the secret of halfing bananas and keeping them in the freezer in a ziploc bag to make them with. I think it makes them taste better than adding ice. We make all different kinds but here are some of our favorite recipes. If you have a favorite smoothie, I'd love to know about it! Please leave a comment with the recipe.


Banana Nut Winter Smoothie

I got this recipe from the container of Dannon All Natural Vanilla Lowfat Yogurt.

1 banana, frozen
1 cup Dannon All Natural Vanilla Lowfat Yogurt
1 TBS Natural Peanut Butter (I added this)
¼ cup walnuts (I used pecans)
½ ground cinnamon
1 tsp honey (optional)
1/8 ground nutmeg

Passion Fruit, Mango, Pineapple
This one tastes professional (Jamba Juice, Smoothie King)! I think it's the Passion Fruit that makes it SO good!
2 cups water
1-2 frozen bananas
1 passion fruit (it's very small but has big flavor)
1 or 2 mangoes cut up
some pineapple cut up
Spirulina -optional(We love it for the health content but some people don't like the taste. I think we're used to it now and don't notice the difference.
1-2 cups of ice

Blackberry, raspberry, blueberry
1-2 frozen bananas
Frozen blackberries, raspberries, & blueberries (We get a big mixed bag from Sam's)
2 cups water
Spirulina or you freeze a bag of spinach leaves and put them in- optional, just healthier
This one is even better if you add some frozen strawberries.
If you want it to be more filling you could add pecans or walnuts.
Sometimes we add a little honey for a sweeter smoothie.

Strawberry, banana
1-2 frozen bananas
some frozen strawberries
Spirulina (optional)
2 cups water

Blueberry,banana smoothie
My friend just sent me this one and it's pretty good!

1-2 cups vanilla soymilk
1-2 frozen bananas
1 TBS peanut butter (totally optional! I think I liked it best without but it is more filling with the peanut butter.)
1 cup or so of blueberries

Juice Plus has some really good shakes that are chocolate and vanilla. They are very healthy but expensive.

1 comment:

Dana said...

Mmm...sounds good! Peanut butter is probably a good idea for extra protein in the morning. I made strawberry smoothies tonight with spinach, milk, maple syrup and a little bit of vanilla ice cream. Yum! I think that our usual ground flax seed takes a little away from the flavor because these were pretty tasty. Of course, maybe it was just the ice cream!